Re: memory leaks ( previous thread )

Paul,

thank you for your reply.

I must admit, the way we intend to use gtkmm is "not the standard approach", but for us, it has proven to be extremely valuable. We already have a working system that works like I described, but as we are deciding to support more platforms than just windows, we want to adopt a more portable ui framework. The other reason is that the standard win32 framework for ui development is a pain to work with.

The reason why we took such a weird approach to writing applications lies in the nature of the applications we write : 3d games. Our architecture allows artists and designers to actually edit and modify the game's assets while actually playing it. This shortens the turnaround time an artist/designer needs to create/modify/extend assets compared to a traditional seperated application approach of tools and actual game and can be a real saver during the last stressfull phases of a project. Believe me, if a designer has to tweak gameplay settings in the tradional way, the poor guy ends up staring at loading screens for more than 90% of his time, with our approach he can modify/test/modify very quickly.

Another benefit of such an approach is that we simply strip the tool related dlls from the final distribution package and the unnecessary luggage is gone - without any maintenance effort on the game engine side.

t took me a while to get used to it and it sounded weird at first to me as well, but now after a while I must say, it is a simple and efficient approach.

We have considered and are actually evaluating using other methods like the sockets approach or IPC, but they would mean a lot of effort to implement. Currently all we have to do is juggle the scene graph root pointer to the editing libraries and they know what to do, all the other approaches would indicate the need to abstract the communication between the game engine and the tool libraries and is something we would most likely not want to do.

A lot of other ui frameworks prevent this runtime loading/unloading completely ( load/unload/crash on second use ), with gtkmm everything works like a charm ( all the dependent dlls go overboard as well, which is also not the case with several other frameworks ), the only issue at the moment is the memory Gtk::Main leaves on the heap.

regards,
Christopher Raine