inserting widgets in the middle

Hi,

I am trying to insert a widget somewhere in the middle of an already
populated VBox. The way it seems to work is to do

   Gtk::VBox::BoxList bl=vbox.children();
	Gtk::Button        newbutton;

   Gtk::VBox::BoxList::iterator it=bl.insert(gtkit, newbutton);

However, I also want to set the packing options for this newly added
widget. So I did

   (*it).set_options(Gtk::PACK_SHRINK);

This works most of the time, but I get weird segfaults precisely at
this line from time to time. Is there something I am not doing
correctly?

And is there a different way to set the options _after_ a widget has
been added to a container, which does not use the BoxList helper?

Best,
Kasper