Re: [OT] Database access with gtkmm application?

Bob Caryl wrote:
Jef Driesen wrote:
Bob Caryl wrote:
Jef Driesen wrote:
Bob Caryl wrote:
Jef Driesen wrote:
A few years ago, I have written a windows application in Visual
Basic. Since
I'm (slowly) moving to linux, I want to rewrite it. For the GUI
part, gtkmm
seems a good choice (seems easy to use and cross-platform). But what
are my
options for the database part? Under windows, I have used the Visual
Basic
database classes with an MS Access database.
I like to use PostgreSQL myself.  There is an API distributed with it
called libpq.

See http://www.postgresql.org/download/

for details.
From what I have read, PostgreSQL is for a client/server model only.
And requiring a server for a simple desktop application, will make
things
unnecessary complicated.
MS Access doesn't run a server?
An MS Access database (*.mdb) is only a file, which can be accessed with
the appropriate database drivers installed.

I see.  I failed to understand earlier when you used the term
"database", which means a lot more than just a single indexed file to me.

It's not a database in the sense of a client/server database (like MySQL
or PostgreSQL). It's more similar to an sqlite database (like someone
mentioned in this topic), where the database is a single file. But it's
also a database in the sense that data is manipulated with SQL commands,
just like their big brothers.