Re: Canvas item destructors

> There are examples and I belive that Daniel Holbach on IRC gave you a list
> of applications in Debian that use it, though I don't remember if any use
> it seriously. I guess that libgnomecanvas is used by a few applications,
> if you would like to investigate them.

The only application I saw mentioned on IRC was guikachu and it was
actually implementing its own canvas (based on Gtk::Layout IIRC).

> The bug states how manage() is meant to work with libgnomecanvasmm, and
> that it doesn't work. You just want your bug to be fixed more quickly,
> though the lack of manage() does not seem to be critical to the use of
> libgnomecanvasmm.

Well, it is critical in the sense that I don't know if it's a bug or a
feature. And if it's a bug and I rely on it, I don't know if fixing it
would break my application.

> To say that it's unusable is an extreme overreaction, and is testing my
> patience.

You got me wrong. I'm really not attempting to get this bug/issue fixed
anymore. Seriously, we'll very likely be using Qt for our application
(the other guy just showed me what he did with the new Qt canvas), so
what I'm saying is that you should *not* hurry in fixing that problem --
or at least not because of me. Your time is probably better spent on
Gtk--, which people actually use.

> There are apparently problems with libgnomecanvas, and it's apparently
> maintained. Therefore people generally don't recommend it, and it's not
> mentioned in the gtkmm book. But this bug is a separate issue.

You meant unmaintained, right (or did I miss something)?

> goocanvas seems like the best candidate for a future, supported,
> GTK+-based canvas, as I've mentioned to you on IRC, I think.

>From what I've been told, goocanvas C-based. In general, the problem I
see is that there's no clear indication of what we can rely on when
coding Gtk/Gnome applications. This time it's libgnomecanvas(mm) that
has an uncertain future. Before that, I got burned when GnomeMDI (and
GnomeLess) disappeared going from Gnome1 to Gnome2. If I start with
goocanvas (or anything else), I have no idea if it will still be
maintained 12 months from now.

	Jean-Marc