Gtk::EventBox has a visible window by default- Is this a bug?

I am using a custom label for a Gtk::Notebook
container. In my custom widget I pack an image and a
label. To be able to intercept mouse button press
events over my widget I needed to add a Gtk::EventBox.
After adding the event box my label was shown with a
different background color. As I had made several
changes at once it was difficult to track the right
cause of this. I didn't suspect the event box at first
as I believed that it shouldn't normally have any
visual effect. Eventually I consulted the
documentation of Gtk::EventBox and I discovered the
method set_visible_window. I used it and passed false
and voila! My label restored its normal color!
I think that to have a visible window by default
should be considered a bug for the event box. Its
function has nothing to do with how its child widgets
should look. It seems normal that it should be
invisible by default.