GTK Notebook Mis-behavior

I am having a problem with the notebook widget.
I am adding a page to my notebook at runtime. Nefore
adding the page, I make sure that the pointer to the
page is not NULL.
But sometimes, the page won't get added and the GUI
will hang even though the GTK thread continues to run
unabated - I can say this, because I continue to get
relevant outputs on the console from the printlns
throughout the program.

This is just happening sometimes, not always. Any
clues?

-Nalin

//Code

//widget is a GTK widget pointer
method
{
widget = call method to return pointer
  if(widget == 0) {
    return;
  }
  gtk_widget_show(widget);
  gtk_notebook_insert_page(noteBook.gobj(), widget,
GTK_WIDGET(label.gobj()), -1);
  noteBook.set_current_page(2);
  gtk_widget_show(widget);
  cerr << "done showing widget" << endl;