General questions

Hi there.

I'm starting using gtkmm (with Glade and Anjuta->Linux and Dev-Cpp->Windows).
The fact is I would like to know two things:
1) Is there any database API (for mysql, for example) that is more recommend to be used with Gtkmm, or it is completely independent? At least do you have any recommendations? 2) I'm fixing an Microsoft Access application to store and retrieve information about members of a non-profit organization (it was done by someone else, and it needs adjustments). I thought to "port" it to a Gtkmm program. Is there any good advantage of doing this?
Question 1 will be important if I decide to do what I thought on question 2.

I know these are very general questions and maybe off-topic. But I really do not have a great vision about what does it means to use GTK(--) to build applications. I don't know if they are fast, stable and better than an Access application, for example.
Sorry for the ignorance.

Thank you very much.
Best regards,
Arthur Maciel