Re: Gideon: the gui designer

On 10/27/05, Maxim Udushlivy <maxim udushlivy gmail com> wrote:
> Andreas Volz wrote:
>

> >Hey, looks really great! But I created all my GUI's with glade and
> >libglade(mm). Are there some reasons for me to use gideon in future?
> >
> >What are the differences between gideon and glade and why did you
> >develop this application? Do some advertising for your application :-P
> >
> >regards
> >Andreas
> >

> Hi, Andreas,
> I think this post answers your questions:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/gideon-designer/tree/browse_frm/thread/e9daff12a9700fe5/5180c62e7d3eb5d6?rnum=1&_done=%2Fgroup%2Fgideon-designer%2Fbrowse_frm%2Fthread%2Fe9daff12a9700fe5%2Fa7350209a11d26fe%3F#doc_a7350209a11d26fe
>
> Maxim

Speaking for myself, I think these two items are the key
differentiators between gideon and glade:
- support non-widget objects (SizeGroup, ActionGroup)
- use UIManager to generate toolbars and menus

Using glade, there's no way to use UIManager (that I know of), but
this is technically the right way to do menus and toolbars in gtk now.
 So Gideon  gives you the benefits of a graphical UI designer but also
lets you do the right things in code as well.  I'm very impressed by
this.  (Note that I've not actually tried gideon out on an actual
project yet, I'm just going by first impressions).

Jonathon