Changing the default background color of Gtk::Table

Is there any way I could change the background color of a Table
and also make this new color persistent, so that I would be
taken back to it every time I say, e.g., unset_bg(...)?

Unless you tell me otherwise, the first part of the question would
probably be resolved by placing the corresponding Table object into
Gtk::EventBox, but how would I make this new background color stick?

Regards,

Nickolai