Re: Equivalent to gtk_drag_get_source_widget()?

On Thursday 10 November 2005 21:55, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Thu, 2005-11-10 at 21:52 +0000, Chris Vine wrote:
> > Actually on further thought I am not even sure that even if the same
> > widget is set as a valid source and destination for the data in question,
> > GDK/GTK+ allows you to drag data to yourself.  You might want to check
> > that this is possible before you start worrying about it.
>
> it absolutely does.

Yes, you must be right.

> in fact, for the TreeView, you can *only* drag to yourself given the
> default configuration of a treeview. i posted here recently about tricky
> ways to workaround this.

That is not right.  Or at least, only right if you are talking about the
high-level Gtk::TreeView drag and drop API.  If you go to the low level GDK +
GTK+ + GtkWidget (gdkmm + Gtk::Widget) drag and drop functions you can drag
and drop between any GTK+ widgets, including between different TreeViews (and
indeed between GTK+ widgets and non-GTK+ widgets which use the Xdnd or Motif
protocols).

Lots of applications do that (including one I have written).  Of course the
receiving widget needs to be able to interpret what it is receiving, which
may cause problems if that comprises other than plain text or a pixbuf.
Rather than trying to drag a "row", which would be very difficult, you can
drag the data contained within the row, and recreate the row at the receiving
end.

Chris