Re: creating rounded windows ?

>>"Decoration" means the frame around most windows, that usualy contains
>>things like maximize and close buttons. That is drawn by a separate
>>application called "window manager" and that application will draw
>>rectangular frames even if the window itself will be shaped.

>--
>>						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb ucw cz>
>>
>Thanks to all for clearing this up for me.

to make something slightly more clear: the window manager *might* draw
a rectangular frame around the window, not *will*.

the thing that you have to understand as an application programmer is
that the choice of WM is up to the user, and some WM's do things very,
very differently than others. there are, for example, tiling WM's
which do not allow any windows to overlap. there are WM's which
strictly control the placement of windows of a certain class. you
cannot override this as a programmer, and nor should you try - the
user has made a choice to use a specific WM for their own reasons.

you just *ask* the WM not to draw any decoration, and then get on with
life. the WM might honor your request, or it might not.

--p