Re: creating rounded windows ?

Jan Hudec wrote:
On Tue, Mar 08, 2005 at 08:06:31 -0600, Bob Caryl wrote:
Jan Hudec wrote:
On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 17:33:38 +0100, Francois Berger wrote:

i'm a newbie to gtkmm and i'd like to know if it is possible to use
some kind of transparency property to create a rounded frame, or a
frame with a hole in it...
IIRC among the examples there is one that creates shaped window. It
should be the one called 'wheelbarrow'. Have a look there.

However I am not sure it's a good idea to use this. It might be,
depending on what you are doing, but a standard look and feel is usualy
more usable. Also note, that the window decoration is under control of
window manager, NOT the application.
Having been a Windows programmer for many years, this post intrigues me. Is there no support for the concept of "owner drawn" controls and windows under linux?

*ALL* windows and controls are drawn by the owner in X. The X server
only provides drawing.  I was talking about the *decoration*.
"Decoration" means the frame around most windows, that usualy contains
things like maximize and close buttons. That is drawn by a separate
application called "window manager" and that application will draw
rectangular frames even if the window itself will be shaped.

						 Jan 'Bulb' Hudec <bulb ucw cz>
Thanks to all for clearing this up for me.

Bob Caryl <bob fis-cal com>