IconView and clicking

I'm trying to use the Gtk::IconView in the file manager I'm writing. (When I saw how much it takes to implement rubberbanding, I was convinced). It seems to have some wierd behavior, though.

signal_item_activated() is obviously for icon selection, but only works with a double-click.

Now, I would think using signal_button_press_event() would give single click selection. And the signal is emmited, on everything except left-clicking the icons. (left-clicking the background and right-clicking anything emit the signal).

The double-click-activation isn't the problem right now, though. I need to figure out where the person is left clicking - if the mouse is over an icon or not (and if it's over the icon, select it). This is to decide what the context popup looks like.

So how do I get if/which ifon the mouse is over?

-Sudrien