Re: Pango warning: "Invalid UTF-8 string"

Roger Leigh wrote:
It's a filename, an std::string returned by Gnome::Vfs::FileInfo::get_name().

You want the glibmm equivalent of g_filename_to_utf8.

Sweet, that did the job. Thanks. It's called Glib::locale_to_utf8().

You might also want to consider using a UTF-8 locale (de_DE.UTF-8) and
UTF-8 filenames on disc.

I also considered that, but wasn't sure if I really need it. What exactly would be the advantage of using UTF-8 over an extended ASCII charset?

I have the feeling that other programs may have trouble with widebyte charsets (for example, if I send UTF-8 encoded in X-Chat, people using MS Windows can't read my umlauts either).

Regards,
Matthias