drawing a png, honoring transparency

Hi,

I'm trying to draw a PNG image, which has some transparent parts, by calling Gdk::Pixbuf::render_to_drawable().

The documentation of this function says that this call will not honor transparency, or that's how I understand the following:

"Note that this function will ignore the opacity information for images with an alpha channel; the GC must already have the clipping mask set if you want transparent regions to show through."

now, how would I generate the clipping mask for a transparent PNG image? I see functions like Gdk::Pixbuf::render_pixmap_and_mask(), but I just don't know how to use them.. (and there's no documentation for them either :(

Akos