GDK Drawing Primatives - howto?

Is there any documentation on using GDK drawing with gtkmm? I had a
working program with gtk before realizing that I wasn't using the
right commands (I was using GdkDrawable rather than Gdk::Drawable,
etc). Now that I am using the right commands, I'm running into
segmentation faults in strange places, no doubt due to setup problems.

Maybe a howto or example program using the new style of commands? I'm
looking for how to get the drawable from a gtk window, how to set up
colorspace, creating graphic contexts, using Pango to place text, that
sort of thing. I've looked through a number of books, but it seems
that the commands are always changing. The online documentation lists
all the functions and parameters, but no descriptions or how to use
them. Thanks for any help you can give!

 - Jeff

--
email me if you want a gmail invite, I have some