Gtk::DrawingArea gtk_widget_create_pango_layout()

I'm trying to write text to a Gtk::Drawing area using it as a gdk
drawable and Pango, but I'm having trouble getting the pango layout
out of the widget.

Basically, every variation I try to use ends up with a deadend because
Gtk::DrawingArea isn't a GtkWidget and can't be cast as one. What is
the right method for getting a Pango Layout using gtkmm? Thanks!

  - Jeff

--
email me if you want a gmail invite, I have some invites