Pango for single-line, width-constrained text

Hello.

Even though I haven't been very successful in getting responses to my queries lately, I decided to give it another try with a different question. Please, if this is not the most appropriate forum, let me know. I did try searching gmane for a Pango-related newsgroup, but found none.

In the application I am working on, I draw nodes and edges of a graph based on data from a knowledge base. I am using Pango layouts to define and render labels on the nodes. At the moment, the Pango layout bleeds out over the right edge of the node, when its contents are long. I have learned from the documentation that Pango supports wrapping, but that is not what I wish to have. Here is a brief outline of the constraints or requirements of my idea:

* all the rectangular nodes have a fixed height, tall enough just to hold one line of text plus a bit of padding;
  * all the rectangular nodes must not exceed a given maximum width;
* each rectangular node's width should depend on the width of its respective label, except when the label is larger than the pre-established maximum node width;
    - for such cases, the label text should be truncated;
- a feature such as tooltips will be employed to reveal the full contents of long labels.

So, basically, what I want is to have fixes-width Pango layouts with no wrapping. Any help or references to relevant documentation which might assist me in implementing my plan?

Thank you,

--
Ney André de Mello Zunino