working custom widget example?

Hi,

I'm trying to experiment with custom drawn windows / widgets. I was looking at the example source code in the directory examples/book/custom/custom_widget in the gtk-- source tarball.

unfortunately, when I compile and run the custom_widget example, the custom widget doesn't show anything. the window is there, the Quit button is there, but MyWidget is simply as if nonexistent.

Is there somewhere a working custom widget example? Espacially one that creates its own window, and uses that to draw...

Akos