Gtk::Editable::on_insert_text

I just was thinking about the most elegant way of restricting the chars a user can enter into a Gtk::Entry. At first i thought I should do that by overriding on_changed() but then, after looking at the dokumentation for Gtk::Editable the functions

virtual void  insert_text_vfunc (const Glib::ustring& text, int& position)
virtual void  on_insert_text (const Glib::ustring& text, int* position)

caught my attention. The problem is that these functions are completeley undocumented - especially I don't understand what i should do with int& / int* position - what happens when i change the value of position/*position ? Are these functions at least suitable for my purpose ? Should i call [when overriding] the base class routines if i want a char to be accepted and avoid that if i don't want that ?

Thanks,
               Antonio