Re: Realtime safe signalling?

>Is it OK to use Glib::Dispatcher::emit() in a realtime safe function, or
>will that block when writing the signal to the pipe? Is there any other
>way to send signals between threads (except using a semaphore and a
>timeout signal in the GUI thread that checks it)?

no. none of these mechanisms are safe.

you need to to use some kernel facility (FIFOs are my favorite) to do
this, and even that is not strictly realtime safe (its better if the
FIFOs are in a tmpfs file system, for example).

if you're not a member of LAD already, go sign up. we talk about stuff
like this till we're blue in the face. or some chat with me on #ardour
at FreeNode.

--p