Re: Minor MinGW bug when compiling gtkmm...?

On 12/5/05, Cedric Gustin <cedric gustin gmail com> wrote:
> Hi Douglas,
>
> On 12/6/05, R. Douglas Barbieri <dooglio gmail com> wrote:
> > I'm not sure what I've found is a bug or perhaps me not grasping the
> > concept (that has been known to happen from time to time :-) ), but:
> >
> > I'm in the process of compiling the GTK+/Gtkmm suite for MinGW, and
> > I've come across something that does not compile:
> > examples\book\input\main.cc. Specifically, line 52 (mkfifo is not
> > found). With the standard MinGW distribution, mkfifo() is not defined
> > in sys/stat.h.
>
> Right, mkfifo is not available natively on win32 (as opposed to the
> cygwin posix layer). I have not built the example set for quite some
> time. I guess I'll have to take a look at this particular example and
> either adapt it or remove it from the list for the win32 platform. In
> the meantime, just remove the corresponding entries in the Makefile
> and continue with your build.

Thanks Cedric for your response! Yeah, I figured I'd just chug along for now.

> As a side note, you can find win32 binaries of gtkmm at
>
> http://www.pcpm.ucl.ac.be/~gustin/win32_ports/
>
> (when the site will be up again later today !).

The problem I'm having with the precompiled binaries is that they are
bringing in extra dependencies: ICONV.DLL and INTL.DLL. I want a build
of the libraries that only references libiconv-2.dll and
libintl-2.dll, since we have an internal library that references the
latter DLLs as well. Any reason you are using the older versions of
those libraries? Or do I have it wrong and I should be using yours?

Also--is that distribution a release build or a debug build, you know,
with -O2/3 turned on? I'm being kinda anal about all of this, I know.
:-)

Oh, and from a license point-of-view, am I legally required to have
the user walk through your installer, or may I distribute these dlls
myself?

Thanks!

--
R. Douglas Barbieri