re: Win32 .pc files

Hi,

The value of the prefix entry in the .pc files does not matter on
win32, as pkg-config dynamically changes /target into the root of your
GTK+ installation.

Now, this dynamical change can fail for gtkmm if gtkmm is not installed with the same root directory as GTK+, say C:\Gtk for GTK+
and C:\gtkmm for gtkmm. In this particular case, you should set the
PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable (using the win32 syntax, with ";"
separators between directories. For example

PKG_CONFIG_PATH=C:\Gtk\lib\pkgconfig;C:\gtkmm\lib\pkgconfig
This should probably be done by the installer though. I might think
about adding this feature for gtkmm-2.8...

Cedric

I have had a problem with this, but in a slightly different way.  We
use the same Win32 libs on both MinGW native builds, and on Linux
cross-compiling to i686-pc-mingw32.  The common (I -think-)
practice of  rooting cross-compiled trees on /target,  (easily done
by a symlink), allows building and installing of other libraries:

./configure --host=i686-pc-mingw32 --prefix=/target

What I have been doing lately is, after downloading and unzipping the
libs, to go into /lib/pkgconfig and manually edit every .pc file to make sure
that it has /target as the prefix.  Then the library bundle works nicely on
both platforms.  I would think that if pkg-config on win32 really doesnt
care about the real root of the package, then /target might be a good
"canonical" cross-platform path for everyone to use.   Have it be the
same everywhere, and let people map it a real location locally.

Just my own poor IMHO.   ;)

Thanks.

Bob Jamison
(ishmal)