on_show signal

I am just starting with gtkmm so please forgive my newb questions.

I want to call a function once a window is
create/shown/displayed. Things I have tried:

* I have tried using the Gtk::Widget::on_show()/on_realize() im my
  derived window class as protected member functions.

* connecting a member function to the signal_show/signal_realize in
  the class's ctor

* connecting a member function to the signal_show/signal_realize in
  the main code before I pass the derived window object to
  Gtk::Main::run

none of these call the function at any point.

To make sure I wasn't being completely stupid I attached the function
to a button click signal and it works fine.

So how can I get a function called once the window is shown?

thnx,
Justin