Re: Menu Display Problem

Bob Caryl wrote:

Murray Cumming wrote:

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 10:48 -0500, Bob Caryl wrote:
Hello all:

I recently installed libsigc++-2.0.10 because a vector drawing package (Inkscape) I was trying to install required it. Since having done so, all my applications that have menus have begun displaying the Gtk::Stock::MISSING_ICON icon on menu items for which I designated NO icon in following call:

Gtk::Action::create((gchar *)desg, (gchar *)disp, "")

I'm seeing the same thing in glom recently, in my gnome 2.12 jhbuild
prefix on Ubuntu Hoary. But I'm not convinced that libsigc++-2.0.10 is
to blame. Let's see what other people find.

where desg and disp are both an xmlChar*. desg is the menuitem name and disp is the display string. I am not using tool tips for this menu.

Does anyone know what I need to do to correct this problem?

I am sorry. I failed to mention that I also had to install libxml2-2.6.19 as well.

Prior to these two installations, none of my applications that use menus displayed the "MISSING_ICON" icons.

Thanks to all that have some input.

Bob Caryl

Hello all again,

I single-stepped my application in the debugger and this is what is happening when the Gtk::Action::create function finally gets called (this code was in a file called "action.cc" ):

Glib::RefPtr<Action> Action::create(const Glib::ustring& name, const Glib::ustring& label, const Glib::ustring& tooltip)
   {
return Glib::RefPtr<Action>( new Action(name, Gtk::StockID(), label, tooltip) );
   }

Note that the formal parameter syntax in my earlier email is matched by the formal parameters shown above. Note in the return statement a call to "Gtk::StockID()" This is what my debugger shows as being called in "stockid.cc":

   StockID::StockID()
   {}

Could this be the source of my MISSING_ICON icons?

Bob Caryl

Hello all,

An update on this problem. I downloaded the source for the main menu example from the gtkmm docs, compiled and ran it. It displays the "MISSING ICONS" also. In addition to this, I have noticed that my themes dialog is no longer available under my gnome desktop. I get the following text in a dialog box when I try to access my desktop themes from the Desktop Preferences menu:

No themes could be found on your system. This probably means that your "Theme Preferences" dialog was improperly installed, or you haven't installed the "gnome-themes" package.

Since getting that message, I have downloaded and installed the latest gnome-themes package available at www.gnome.org and I still get this message when trying to access the themes from Desktop Preferences.

I am totally stumped at this point.

Bob Caryl