Re: Glib::, Gdk::, Gtk::

Matthias Kaeppler <nospam digitalraid com> writes:

> what's the point of the different namespaces? What's e.g. the
> difference between the Gdk and Gtk namespaces? And what is Glib?

Gdk is from the C library GDK, the drawing kit that GTK+ is using to
draw its widgets with (e.g. drawing lines and rectangles). It has a
lot of other low-level graphics and input stuff too. It is basically a
wrapper around the native graphical platform, as far as I know.

Gtk is from the C library GTK+, a widget set. Glib is a C library with
commonly needed basic functionality, e.g. linked lists, hash tables,
unicode strings, etc. If glib had been part of libc, I don't think C
itself would be such a horrible environment to work with. :-)

Look here for more info:

  www.gtk.org

Gtkmm is wrapping each of the libraries separately, that's why there
is a difference in namespace. GDK and GTK+ are very closely related
and bundled together.

--
Ole Laursen
http://www.cs.aau.dk/~olau/