[gtkmm] gtkmm 2.4 and MSVC++ 2003

I've been reading thru the many questions regarding
this, but didn't get any real answers.
Is it possible to compile 2.4 with VC++?
I was able to get sigc++ to compile (even the tests)
by changing some things in adaptor_trait.h.
now i'm attempting to build glibmm.  I'm using the old
2.2 project files (hope thats ok).  it now builds
fine, but trying to build the test(glibmm_value) gives
me link errors.

the first is LNK2005 for a handful of the sigc++
symbols that the linker says are already defined.
I've read there is a way to make those warnings, since
they don't affect anything (is this true?)
i'm also getting an inconsistent dll linkage on
symbols Glib::quark_ and
Glib::quark_cpp_wrapper_deleted_
I'm not too familiar with dlls, but when it finally
links, it produces glibmm.lib (is this a dll?).
anyway, when i try to link glibmm_value it says these
two symbols cannot be resolved.

any advice on this, or on the next step (building
gtkmm) would be much appreciated.

thanks
--Matt