Re: [gtkmm] Fedora Core 2

> On Friday 10 September 2004 06:24, Robert wrote:
>
>> My 512 MB system is usually very close to exhausting all physical
>> ram, even though I do nothing remarkable. (A Windows 2000 system
>> doing similar things would typically use about 200 MB ram in my
>> experience.)

How do you measure that? With 'free' or 'top'? Do you know about
kernel buffers and cache? The kernel usually eats up all available
memory and uses it for disk cache. Of course, it releases the memory
again when user space programs need to grow. Gnome System Monitor will
report a much better estimate of the free memory.

I'm using about 100 MB in Gnome right now on Debian. I find it hard to
believe that the same software could use five times as much memory
just because it is differently configured.

Do you run Java applets? I find that Java applets can eat a lot of
memory quickly.

(Damn, now I got involved in this OT thread.)

--
Ole Laursen
http://www.cs.aau.dk/~olau/