Re: [gtkmm] Fedora Core 2

On Thu, 2004-09-09 at 01:31, Ramachandra Putti wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am on RH 9.0 and GTKmm 2.0.
>
> Since there is no support for RH9.0, I want to use Fedora Core 2 as my o/s.
>
> But I need a Pentium IV computer since Fedora is 64 bit o/s.
>
> What are the options, risks, restrictions or limitations when i migrate to
> Fedora Core 2?

This question is a bit off topic,  but I can't help but respond because
my experience with Fedora Core 2 leaves me no responsible choice but
to warn you off it.  I would not recommend Fedora Core 2 to anyone for
any purpose.

I have installed Fedora Core 2 on four very different machines,  two
desktops and two laptops.  All four installations failed initially in
different ways.  I had to try 5 times on one of the laptops before I
had a usable system.  Fedora Core is the most unreliable operating
system I have ever used in all my years of using computers.  It is more
unreliable than DOS 3.3 and more unreliable than Windows 3.0,  and not
in the same class as more modern systems like Windows 2000.  Sorry to
sound like a Windows advocate,  but that is simply the truth.

The system I am on as I write is a P4 2.8 Ghz running Fedora Core 2
which I upgraded from Red Hat 9.  It is a disaster.  I have no time
right now to replace it with a different distro and I have no Windows
license for this machine,  so I'm stuck for the moment.  FC 2 crashes or
freezes up or becomes unusable at least 5 or 10 times a week on
average.  When I started out writing this response I had to stop because
my keyboard suddenly cut out.  (This is a regular occurrence for me,
which other users have also reported.)  Before I could reboot,  a screen
saver started and the system froze up.  (It always freezes up when this
particular screen saver,  called XFlame,  starts.)

There are about a million other things that cause FC 2 to crash,
freeze,  or become unusable.  In addition,  it frequently misconfigures
hardware ... etc.,  etc.,  etc.,  etc.,  etc..  I could go on for a long
time.  In addition to the instability,  Fedora Core 2 is
extremely resource intensive.  According to the FC 2 website,  the
minimum recommended ram for a system with Gnome is 256 MB with 512 MB
recommended.  I can confirm that this is correct.  My 512 MB system is
usually very close to exhausting all physical ram,  even though I do
nothing remarkable.  (A Windows 2000 system doing similar things would
typically use about 200 MB ram in my experience.)

OK, I'll leave it at that,  though I could write a treatise on what's
wrong with FC 2.  Bottom line:  switch to a different distro or a
different operating system.  Fedora Core 2 is a bad choice.

Perhaps someone here could suggest an alternative supported distro that
is more reliable than FC 2 (and which is good for gtkmm development).