Generic way to identify emitted signals

Hi all,

is there a generic way to identify an emitted signal? For example, if a Gtk::Button is clicked, a signal_clicked is emitted. I know this, and so I can connect a signal-handler via something like mybottun->signal_clicked().connect(...). Fine. But what to do, if I don't know which signal is emitted? Do I have to use the try-and-error-method to find that out?
This is a simple example, but I don't find the correct signal, when I have a Gtk::TreeView widget and I put a cursor into an editable cell. There are many suitable signals from Gtk::Widget, Gtk::TreeModel and so on.

thanks in advance

Dirk Neumann