Re: [gtkmm] the future of gtkmm

Paul Grenyer wrote:

Hi

That's not an uncommon opinion, but the fact is that C++ is far from bullet-proof. If GNOME was going to change language entirely, I don't think it would actually be a good idea to use C++, it just doesn't offer enough of an improvement. It would have to be something garbage collected I think.

We're probably going to have to agree to disagree over this, but...

No language is bullet proof, but C++ offers a significant improvement over C. I actually feel that garbage collection is a bad thing and toally unnecessary.

Certainly, C++ is better than C, but I'm not convinced it's better enough that porting the entirety of a large C-based platform (such as GNOME) to it would be a good idea. It's still extremely possible to write incredibly stupid code in C++, and some of it's incredibly hard to debug.

Not, perhaps, that some other languages offer easy debugging either, but there is something very demoralising about repeatedly getting 'segmentation fault'.

The main disadvantage is that you cannot determine at what point the object is destroyed. Also, the same behavoir with deterministic delete can be achieved using smart points and code can be wirtten in such a way as to force users of a class to use smart pointers.

As gtkmm exhibits. Smartpointers are something I've not really looked into properly yet - I suspect perhaps that if I tried using them at work I'd get taken out and shot. We still seem half stuck in C most days :-( Of course, my ideal would actually be some kind of language like the not-yet-finalised Perl 6... but compiling to code that competes with C++ in terms of sheer speed. It remains to be seen how fast Perl 6 will actually be, but I doubt it can be as fast as that. A shame, but I guess that's just physics for you.

If you are an ACCU (www.accu.org) member read my article in the latest overload. If you are not, join, it's the best £25 you'll ever spend as a developer. I'll try and get my article onto my webiste for everyone else.

I'm not a member. Looks interesting though.