Re: [gtkmm] gtkmm-2.4.2 on win32

At 09:16 AM 6/9/2004, Timothy M. Shead wrote:
We are in the process of moving the K-3D 3D modeling and animation system (www.k-3d.org) from a gtk1 UI to gtkmm 2.4. Everything has been working great on GNU/Linux, and now I'm trying to get a Win32 build going under Cygwin.

I've installed gtk-2.0 using the recommended gladewin32 installer, then installed gtkmm 2.4 using Cedric's installer. I specified c:/cygwin/usr/local as the install directory for both installers.

You should not use the cygwin posix layer with my port. The GTK+ runtime I use is a native one (http://www.gimp.org/win32 for details). You must either use mingw (http://www.mingw.org) to compile k-3d against gtkmm-2.4 on win32 or pass the '-mno-cygwin' flag to cygwin-g++, although you might stumble across conflicts between the version of gcc I use (mingw32-gcc 3.2.3) and the one provided with cygwin (3.3.x). I strongly recommend the mingw approach.

See http://www.gtkmm.org/docs/gtkmm-2.4/docs/tutorial/html/ape.html for instructions (that should be updated for gtkmm-2.4 by the way !).

I then verified that I was able to build and run several gtkmm samples using "traditional" command lines, e.g.

$ gcc -o helloworld *.cc `pkg-config --cflags --libs gtkmm-2.4` -lstdc++

... gotta love it! Building K-3D however, I'm seeing several link errors, at the end of this post. What's interesting is that every error corresponds to a place where I had to fall-back on some gtk / gdk functionality in the code (we're using gtkglext, as gtkglextmm has not caught-up with gtkmm 2.4). As a simple example, the following line in the code:

Make sure you have the native-win32 gtkglext packages, not the cygwin ones !

Cedric