[gtkmm] Loading SVG icons

I'm playing around using SVG icons in K-3D, http://k3d.sf.net, and trying to conform to gtkmm 2.4 best practices. As a first iteration, I'm just loading icons with Gdk::Pixbuf::create_from_file(...), which works fine, but doesn't offer any control over the size (in pixels) of the rasterized SVG icon. I'm wondering if there's an "official" way to load groups of SVG icons so that their sizes can be controlled, preferably themed by the end-user.

Thanks in advance,
Tim Shead