Re: [gtkmm] MDI on gtkmm

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:38:04 +0100
Luis Pastor Vegas <lupv gmv es> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to develop the MDI concept on gtkmm. We don't want to use the
> gnome libraries because we are evaluating only the gtkmm toolkit (we
> don't even use direct calls to gtk+ functions). Using Gtk::Layout as
> container it has been easy to emulate the MDI behaviour. The problem is
> that when a MDIchild contains a Gtk::ScrolledWindow, the scrollbars seem
> to be in a lower z-level than other widgets. So, when a MDIchild
> (mdiChild1) is over another MDIchild (mdiChild2), all the widgets
> comprised in mdiChild1 are over any widget comprised in mdiChild2,
> except the scrollbars, that are below and seem to disappear under mdiChild2.
>
> Has anyone had a similar problem? What's wrong? What can I do?

In Gtk/Gnome the common MDI approach is to use tabs in a notebook instead of separate windows. Take a look at galeon, x-chat or gedit if you don't know what i mean.

If you have to use multiple windows the standard is to use a single window interface like gimp does. However, this does not answer your question but if you want to be integrated with gnome i believe this is the way to go.

Daniel Sundberg

--
http://sumpan.com
sumpan sumpan com