Re: TreeView::append_column_numeric() format?

On Mon, 2004-12-06 at 13:52, Murray Cumming wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-11-23 at 10:23 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:

> > I think I'll allow a sprintf-style format string,
>
> I've done that now, in gtkmm 2.5. When parsing data in editable cells,
> it only understand decimal numbers, but I don't think that's a huge
> disadvantage.
>
> I'd welcome any criticism.

The problem with relying on purely sprintf-style formatting is you're
missing the localization provided by the streams classes (unless *I'm*
missing something).

And if you want to parse the numbers, again streams would be the logical
choice in C++.

That's why I was suggesting something akin to the lexical_cast<>
templates I have available.  They are easily extensible to include input
as well as output, so would provide a natural bridge between text
representation and float/complex/etc. data values, and even extend to
other data types like dates, money, etc.

I use something similar in the libsimple/libgtklink libraries (also
available, I believe) which provide simplified interface/link between
data vars and widgets.  In particular, I have a translation class used
with the entry fields to provide translation to/from the Gtk::Text
widget.

Regards,
Carl