[gtkmm] compiling gtkmm [at the gtk+ stage]

I have just finished compiling libsigc++ [what ever the latest version is] 2.something. Now I am trying to compile glib 2.2.3, but the 'configure --prefix=/usr --enable-debug=yes' stops dead at this junction:
checking for strigs.h... yes
checking for inttypes.h... yes
checking for stdint.h...
At that point the prompt reappears on the screen. so it looks like this
checking for stdint.h... $_

I am compiling under cygwin and g++-3.3.1

Can anyone help?

Thanks folks!!

--
* The media's the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that's power. - Malcom X

* You cannot exercise your power to a point of humiliation.
                              - Jean Chretien

* It's amazing how the small seeds of distrust and misunderstanding
 can yield a crop of hate and death...