RE: [gtkmm] gtkmm & devhelp

> From: Roel [mailto:roel stack be]
> Hello,
>
> I've written an xsl stylesheet that will convert the doxygen
> xml output to
> devhelp format. It's very basic - tell me how you want it and
> I'll change
> it. Steps to take: do ./configure in gtkmm source tree, go to
> docs/reference and edit 'Doxyfile'.

It would be best to edit Doxyfile.in before running configure or autogen,
because Doxyfile is a generated file.

> Change GENERATE_XML to 'yes'. Run
> doxygen. Copy index.xml file to some directory, then run
> stylesheet (eg for
> xsltproc: xsltproc -o gtkmm-2.2.7.devhelp doxygen2devhelp.xsl
> index.xml).

I would like to add this to the Makefile.am. It should not be necessary to
copy the file around, but if the generated devhelp stuff is more than one
file then it might go into a sub directory.

> Copy resulting .devhelp file to gtkmm tree. Next step is
> tricky; devhelp is
> a bit buggy, or I don't understand very well where it will search for
> documentation;

If there's a problem then I'm sure we can track it down.

> anyway, I just copied the whole documentation tree to
> ~/.devhelp/books/gtkmm-2.2.7/. Now run devhelp and voila,
> there you find
> your trusty gtkmm documentation. Things to do:
>
> - anchor links don't work (jump to page.html#somewhere). I
> don't know why
> yet.
> - Images don't work. I don't know how devhelp & gtkhtml work; should
> coordinate with devhelp ppl.
> - Index could be made better. Now there is only a list of
> classes and their
> members, and the namespaces and their classes. Need to make more.
> - Make something that works nicely for gnomemm and other doxygen
> documenation (maybe it does already, haven't tried yet).
>
> Anyway, I find it quite useful already. Like I said, I don't
> really know how
> I should structure the index tree; if someone tells me what
> it should look
> like, I'll implement it (standard disclaimer about having
> time and feeling
> like it applies).

Thank you for this. It's really cool and I'm looking forward to having the
chance to try it. So that we don't forget it, it would be best to put things
like this in bugzilla, ideally with a patch to do the stuff that I described
above.

Well done, and thanks.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net
www.murrayc.com
Remember to use the "Reply To All" feature with mailing lists.