Re: [gtkmm] combo incremental search

On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 01:38:18AM +0100, Barnaby Gray wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 02:53:27AM +0530, Temple Software wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I need the combobox to do incremental searching. Is it possible? that is, when
> > I press say, 'S' the selection should position automatically to the word
> > starting with 'S'. Though in Windows this works by default, I cannot do this
> > in gtkmm/gtk+ under Linux. Help!
> >
> > The absence of this singular feature prevents me from porting a fairly large
> > business application from Windows to Linux.
>
> Get off your high horse and stop over exaggerating things. If it's
> really the absense of this singular feature, then perhaps it's
> important enough for you to look into contributing to open source -
> you have everythere ready for you to help out.
>
> Stop trying to apply business logic to open source - you're not paying
> for open source and there's no contractual obligation for anyone to
> meet your demands. ;-)

If I may say so, I don't think your attitude helps the open source cause
either. Just because you don't get paid is no reason for not being patient
and diplomatic. I believe that if Temple Software is porting their stuff to
Linux, then that alone is beneficial to open source development.

To answer the question: yes, it is possible. If that feature does not
exist already, you should be able to subclass Gtk::Combo and connect to the
signal_key_press_event of the Combo, search for the first entry matching the
key and select that entry.

/Fredrik Arnerup