[gtkmm] installation problem

i have installed mandrake 9.1 and went to install gtkmm. It is giving me
a whole bunch of problems like gtk+-2.0>=2.0 not found and same about atk,
pango etc...(when i do ./configure). But rpmdrake shows the opposite. The
packages it shows are quite recent. How do u integrate this installation
procedure with mandrake's rpms? Also rpmdrake won't let me uninstall these packages(so
that i can install the latest ones) as it tells me it will need to
uninstall another hundred programs which need it without actually giving
me a choice. mandrake does not have gtkmm 2.0. Can anybody help me get
over this stuff ?
Some of u must be having mandrake 9.1, how did u guys install
gtkmm2.latest ?
Neeraj Korde
Graduate Student
Mechanical Engineering