[gtkmm] Problems saving and loading the text data in widgets

I am writing a an rpg utility and I want to save the character sheets and
load them back.  I seem to have gotten the info saved to a file.( although I
would love pointers on doing this efficiently).  What is giving me problems
currently is loading strings from a file.  I am using:
Ifstream in("file");
string str;
in >> str;
entry1->set_text(str.c_str());//this is a pointer because glade generated my
                                gui code.

The first line of the file is:
This is an entry

But this is the only thing that shows up in the widget.

What am I doing wrong?

-- Ken Miller