[gtkmm] LIBRARY PATH - HOW TO SET ?

I have just recently got into the Linux work and running RH 9.0 under
the Gnome enviroment.

I want to program using Glade and use C++ instead of C.  I belive to
make all this work and compile I have to use install Gtkmm which I have
done.

In the project header files it includes:

#include <gtkmm/accelgroup.h>

I can see 'accelgroup.h' under /usr/local/include/gtkmm-2.0/gtkmm/

When I compile I get an error message saying it can't find
'gtkmm/accelgroup.h'

Obviously I need to set a PATH.  What path statement do I need to modify
?

Pete