[gtkmm] Re: [sigc] Roadmap regarding sigc++2

Am 2003.03.16 16:56 schrieb(en) Andreas Rottmann:
Hi!

I would like to know a bit about the transition plan of glibmm/gtkmm
to sigc++2, since this will effect my Yehia and SigC++ Extras
projects.

* Which versions are envisaged to use sigc++2?

* When are these lined up for release? (I expect only a *very* vague
  answer here, of course ;-)

* How will this effect the memory managment API? ATM there is
  SigC::Object and SigC::manage, which are not there anymore in
  sigc++2. I guess memory management in glibmm will be purely
  GObject-based, then? However, in sigc++2, there is sigc::trackable,
  so I guess this will have to be inherited by GLib::Object.

If I read the gtkmm2 code correctly, SigC's memory management
isn't used at all. Memory management in glibmm is already purely
GObject-based (see Glib::ObjectBase::[un]reference())!

However, there is a call to SigC::ObjectBase::set_manage() from
Gtk::Object::set_manage() which allocates an instatiation of
SigC::Control_. Given that SigC::Control_'s reference counter
isn't used anywhere I wonder whether this is intended at all!
I suspect that the call to SigC::ObjectBase::set_manage() from
Gtk::Object::set_manage() is absolutely pointless.

Regards,

  Martin