[gtkmm] RPMs/spec files/files with the extention .la

Hello,

I'm currently trying to put together a few spec files to build the
various gnomemm components.

By looking at some spec files already created I noticed that they
explicitly 'rm -f %{_libdir}/*.la'. (for example gtkmm.spec). But some
of the components won't build with the .la files (libgnomeuimm for
example).

In the stkmm.spec file I noticed a comment that said "newer redhats
don't use .la". So, what is a ".la" file? (i know it's some sort of
object code), Why would I not want to package it even if the linux
distro doesn't use them. And why would a distribution not use them?

James