Re: [gtkmm] changing key bindings (table navigation)

On Wed, 2003-06-25 at 10:47, Paul Davis wrote:
> >How can one change the key behaviors within widget, ie. changing what the keys
> > do?
> >
> >For example:
> >
> >I have a table layout containing entry widgets. When the table has the focus
> >left/right movement is with shift-tab/tab and up/down with up-arrow/down-arrow
> >.
> >During this movement the default text of each entry widget is highlighted when
> > it has
> >the focus. The left/right arrow will then move the cursor within the entry wid
> >get.
> >
> >What I want is for navigation within the table to be all with the arrows. The
> >reason
> >for this is navigation between various containers on screen (~4 of them) is wi
> >th
> >the tab key, and I don't want the user to have to tab through some 96 widgets
> >in the
> >table layout in order to tab out of the table and get to the next section of t
> >he
> >screen.
>
> how do you propose to move the cursor within an entry or similar
> widget?
>
> the current code in GTK+ attempts to do "the best" thing, by using
> arrows to navigate between focusable widgets except when the current
> focus widget was felt to require internal navigation with arrow keys.
>
> you can override this in a key_release event handler, but its
> moderately complicated, and will cause problems if any of the widgets
> are entries and the user wants to navigate within them.

In this application the user won't need to navigate within the entry box
(this requires left-right arrow which we need for navigation between
entry boxes in the table) as it is only a 3 digit number. I am hoping to
implement functionality where the user arrows to the entry box, and
either types a replacement # (or hits enter to edit it and then types
the #). We're still feeling out exactly how we want to do this.

Just so you know. This app will be running in an embedded system which
may or may not have a keyboard. As a result, it must be easy for the
user to navigate the app using only tab, arrow, enter, 0-9 and backspace
keys; which are provided on the device.

--
Peter Gasper <pgasper designadvantage com>