[gtkmm] showing same isntance of a widget in multiple places

When I add the same label to two halves of a vpaned container only one
shows at a time. Why is this? Obviously, without doing something
special, it appears that a widget can only have one parent.

What I am trying to do is display the same widget in two different
places of a notebook (ie. only one will be showing at a time), but I
don't want to declare multiple instances of that same widget. Thats not
what this code does, its just the simplest case that manifests the
problem.

thank you for your help.

code:
Gtk::Label test;
vpaned.add1(test);
vpaned.add2(test);

error messages:
(lb:27829): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file ../../gtk/gtkwidget.c: line 3817
(gtk_widget_set_parent): assertion `widget->parent == NULL' failed

(lb:27829): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file ../../gtk/gtkwidget.c: line 1983
(gtk_widget_unrealize): assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

(lb:27829): Gtk-CRITICAL **: file ../../gtk/gtkwidget.c: line 1626
(gtk_widget_destroy): assertion `GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed