Re: [gtkmm] Cross Process Dispatcher

>I'm currently developing a rather large application, that has a few
>other apps sending data to it.  I've implemented this via threads and
>using a Dispatcher to communicate the new data to the main GUI thread.
>
>This system is a bit kludgey and unnecessarily complex.  In about 4
>weeks, after a large "Dog and Pony show" my client is having, I'll have
>some major redesign time.  One of the things I may be planning is adding
>2 things to the dispatcher.  I have not throughly thought these through
>so if I'm totally off base please feel free to tell me so.
>
>1. The ability to use named pipes for interprocess communication.
>2. The ability to have parameters for the Dispatcher.
>	Glib::Dispatcher<int, bool, char> disp;
>	disp.emit(1234, true, 'A');
>
>Is there anybody else doing this so I'm not reinventing the wheel?
>Would these features be welcome?
>Assuming the code is good would they make it into the main code base?

as i understand it, the Dispatcher's conception and design is
predicated on shared memory access between the threads in
question. this doesn't exist (in any conventional sense) between
processes, and so the model is unlikely to convert very well. i could
be wrong, even very wrong. you're switching to IPC while coming from a
system that is using something really quite different from IPC because
of the shared memory ...