RE: [gtkmm] Solaris 8 and gtkmm 2.2.5

> From: Andrew Marlow [mailto:apm35 student open ac uk]
> joverly head-cfa harvard edu writes:
> >Hi -
> >
> >I am trying to compile gtkmm on Solaris 8 using the
> >SUNWspro 6.2 compiler. I am getting the following errors:
> [snip]
> I get the same. So does anyone who does not have the Forte
> patches mentioned in the gtkmm documentation.
> Unfortunately, the documentation is a bit misleading.
> It gives the impression (well, to me, at least), that
> the developers are insisting on the patch for Forte users.
> After a brief discussion it turns out that the patch
> is just because gtkmm hasn't been ported to
> pre-patched Forte environments yet. I think they would
> welcome such a fix to gtkmm (even though it's Forte
> that is at fault).

Well, as I said, we actually removed the workarounds because we thought
people would be happy to fix their compilers instead. But if you really need
something then we will be happy to take appropriate patches.

Such patches would probably have #ifdefs that would only be used for broken
compilers. You would probably need a configure-time check for such
brokenness if there is no compiler-specific #define that you can check for.

> I think this post just shows how welcome such a
> fix would be. I tried to do the fix myself but
> I don't have enough knowledge about gtkmm yet
> to do it. It looks to me like the problem is
> to do with Fortes lack of support for
> template templates.

It might be interesting to look at bugzilla's history.

For instance,
the closed bugs in the past 600 days that had Forte in the summary:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?G24E13B65

the closed bugs in the past 600 days that had Forte in the description:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?E12E42B65

I feel quite sure that these should contain enough clues, but do ask if you
need more help. At the very least, do mention problems in bugzilla so that
they are not forgotten.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net