Re: [gtkmm] Why only limited support with Forte?

On Wed, 2003-07-23 at 10:45, Andrew Marlow wrote:
> I am running Solaris 8 with Forte 6. CC -V reports
>
> CC: Sun Workshop 6 update 2 C++ 5.3 2001/05/15
>
> I realise that this is not the latest patch
> (from a long line of patches). I also realise
> that the gtkmm web pages say that
> patch 111685-10 2002/09/16 is required.
> My question is "WHY?".

Because that version of Forte fixes bugs in Forte that prevented it from
building gtkmm before.

> I know that commercial unix compilers are
> crap, typically being template-challenged
> and having an incomplete STL

The patched Forte seems pretty good actually.

>  but IMO it
> is important for open source s/w to
> work with typical compiler installations.
> Rightly or wrongly, many people have this
> version of the compiler. Some even have the
> patch before 2001/05/15. I am tempted to
> fix gtkmm to make it compile on my
> Forte environment but would such a fix
> be accepted?

Yes, of course. The original porter probably felt it was simpler to just
fix the compiler because that was where the bug was. We had some Forte
workarounds in gtkmm before they fixed the compiler.

You are probably talking about #ifdefs. If you try this, please make
sure that they are not used for versions of Forte that don't need them.

I believe that there is actually some problem with the latest gtkmm
version even with the patched Forte, but nobody has provided a patch
yet. I don't think it's anything difficult.

murray usa net