Re: [gtkmm] Re: pthreads with gtk/gtkmm

On Wed, 19 Feb 2003 07:25:56 -0500
Paul Davis <paul linuxaudiosystems com> wrote:

> i follow the guideline i outlined above because it appears to me that
> any cast from void * to anything at all is 100% dangerous, and using
> static_cast<> suggests that it is somehow "safe" when in fact it is
> not.
I don't get this point. I mean, architectural differences regarding data
types, sure - but when you come into a situation where you must use a
void* to pass around data, you know what you get because you are the one
defining the void* when invoking the function (ok, this may be different
when a loosely organized bunch of people are coding different parts of
the program and the interfaces are not clearly defined; but in this case
the problem isn't caused by inappropriate casts).
That's my personal opinion on this; [1] agrees with me while also
referencing Stroustrup twice.

Leslie

[1] http://www.cs.rpi.edu/~wiseb/xrds/ovp3-1.html