Re: [gtkmm] Re: Gtkmm or Qt?

If you haven't already done so, you ought to look at Anjuta. It supports many of the features that you mention below and is coming along pretty well.

Dave wrote:
1) start a project
2) add a standard dialog (*)
3) start dropping widgets on it "visually" (**)
4) produce the event handling stubs through the IDE
5) fill in the event stubs with custom code through built-in code editing
6) build/run the project (***)
7) Repeat 2 - 6 ad infinitum

*   The IDE would add the header and code files also when a dialog was added
**  The IDE would construct (in the code files) the widgets added to a
dialog
*** The IDE would support multiple compilers using a command-line build
scheme, not one requiring makefiles which rely on some external (other than
the compiler) build tools.

In other words, a language and library centric (as opposed to compiler
centric) RAD IDE that could be used throughout the entire lifecycle to build
a large GUI project in it's entirety, with standard C++.

I'm not alone in my opinion about a good IDE - take a look at
http://www.fltk.org/poll.php?r15 for example.

I know *just* the above would take quite an effort, not to mention adding a
good debugger, class browser and all of that in version 2 or 3... or 7 or
whatever, but IMHO the most important thing is the "wow" factor,
productivity and reduced learning curve that such a tool would provide for a
toolkit.